Friday, June 20, 2014

Telling

When to share pregnancy news is always a hard decision. I’m pretty sure Robert and I have had 20+ discussions on who to tell, when to tell, where to tell, how to tell – or even if to tell. And then every time you think you've figured it out or made a decision, fear gets the best of you. It’s a constant determination of “if something happens would I have rather told this person so he or she can be there to support me or would I rather not have to ‘untell’ him or her.” And, really, the underlying issue is fear.

We all get frustrated with those women who announce at 5 weeks on facebook. I mean really – “don’t they know something could go wrong?” It’s our fear speaking – and maybe a little bit of experience speaking.

So, who have we told?

Our donors know. My mom knows. Robert’s close family knows (parents, grandma, siblings). Our best friends know. My office knows. And, of course, you all know.

Mostly, we've just announced the news. But we did have a little fun with Robert’s family. We took a photo of two hamburger buns in the oven, put it in a frame, and wrapped it up as one of Robert’s Mema’s birthday presents. His family already knew we had a positive beta, but not that we had found out it was twins. It took it a bit for her to understand the photo, but when she did it was fun.  

Two Buns in the Oven!

Though, as fun as it was to share, I was still terrified. As she was unwrapping her present, my heart rate was elevated; my hands were shaking. The day I decided to tell my office, again shaking and nervous. Shouldn't I want to scream from the rooftops how blessed we are – we’re having TWINS!!! But instead, I find myself nervous to tell. 

1 comment:

PJ said...

Hadn't been able to keep up with the blog posts until today what with the mission trip. But - huzzah! Twins! That's awesome. Celebrating and covering y'all in prayer.