Thursday, June 12, 2014

First Ultrasound

My first ultrasound was scheduled for next week. Then “Tuesday” happened. It started with cramping. Then the cramping got worse – a lot worse. I reasoned that cramping is good. My uterus must be growing. Then came the blood – bright red blood. I lost it. I was a wreck. I called the NEDC, but could not leave a message because it was lunch time. I called my RE and left a voicemail with the nurse. I emailed the IVF nurse at the NEDC since I could not leave a message. I texted a sweet friend who is both an embryo adoption mom and a medical student. I emailed my donors, sharing my fears – and then my donor mom called to talk. I considered running to the closest ER, but knew that untrained eyes on a low-tech ultrasound machine might be worse than not knowing. It was a rough day, but by the end we had a plan. An ultrasound set for first thing Wednesday morning.

Wednesday, we had to leave the house by 6:30 am. Getting up early was easy as neither Robert nor I had really slept. Thankfully, Leland’s amazing teacher agreed to come to the house to watch him at 6:30 am – no questions asked! We made the two hour drive. And somehow, on the drive, God replaced my panic with a peace.

Waiting on my doctor was hard. He did not know that we had been added on to his schedule before his typical first appointment, so we arrived at 8:15 (for an 8:30 appointment) and he did not arrive till almost 9:00. First, he examined my cervix. He said it was closed and that he could only see a little old (brown) blood. He also said the hormones I am on can irritate the cervix and can cause a little bleeding. He also referenced implantation bleeding.

Finally it was time for the ultrasound. Upon first look, he declared my bladder too full. So I had to go empty before we could really get a look. When he finally could see, he said everything looked great and right on track. Measurement was almost to the day. It was however too early to get a heart rate. He also reported no signs of a hematoma or any bleeding from the uterus. I am so filled with relief and overwhelmed by God’s blessing and protection.

We go back on Monday for a better look – and hopefully a heart rate. I should also get some pictures then!

4 comments:

PJ said...

Praise God all is well. Thanks for sharing. Keeping you in my prayers.

Sara said...

I am happy that it seems things are progressing well! I can't wait to hear good news from your next appointment.

Deborah said...

That's so scary! I'm glad your little one is doing well, though.

Ashley said...

So scary! Glad everything is ok!