Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Appointment Update

I had my first appointment today with the MFM. I will see the OB for the first time next week. It was very surreal making the drive to the appointment in that the last few times I went to the office was for preconception appointments when being pregnant was still only an “if”.

Thankfully they started the appointment with an ultrasound. Well, actually they started by taking my blood pressure – which was high! I was so nervous. I asked her to take it again – focused on relaxing - and it was back in the normal range. When we got to the ultrasound she started with a vaginal ultrasound but could not get a good look. She then switched to the abdominal ultrasound. I was able to see both babies and hear their heartbeats. They are measuring 8w1d and 8w0d (and I am 8 weeks today).

I then met with the MFM Fellow (just the nature of being at a teaching hospital). I had not met her before, but found her to be really nice and able to answer most of my questions. Then my actual MFM joined us – I could tell when she walked in that she was not happy. She started our meeting off by scolding me for having conceived twins and reminding me of the increased risks. She even brought up the option of selective reduction, which I quickly declined. Other than being a little surprised by her openly strong concern for my being pregnant with twins I think the appointment went well.

The biggest take away from the appointment is that I will be asking our donors if they are willing to have a blood test drawn for platelet typing. I am hopeful they will agree and that the cost will not be too high as I anticipate us paying out of pocket for their testing. The alternative is an amniocentesis at about 16 weeks which I would like to avoid if possible considering the 1% risk of loss.

I go back to the MFM at 12 weeks for my Nuchal Translucency Screening (ultrasound). And based on my calculations, in the next 29 weeks (assuming no issues and that I make it to the 37 week delivery as planned) I will have about 15-20 appointments just with the OB and MFM. 

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Glad you got to see your babies!

Denise H. said...

Yay for Babies! I am so happy things are looking good for you :)

It Is What It Is said...

So glad all is well with you and bebes.

Sara said...

I am sorry the MFM was rude! It's not like you set out for twins... it is an effect of IF treatments that I don't think many people would choose!! I would be really angry if a doctor mentioned choosing one twin over the other!! Anyway, I'm glad the babies continue to grow and be healthy!

Also, what is platelet typing? Is that different than blood types?

Malia said...

Congrats on your babies! I'm sorry the MFM was such a pill. If she's like that next time, just give her a piece of your mind! Twin pregnancies happen all the time! :)

Deborah said...

I'm glad you got to see the babies and that they're doing okay!

It's totally irrational, but as a twin myself I get a little offended when people talk about twins as dangerous and high-risk and all that. I know my mom's lucky we were healthy and full-term. But I always just wanted to be seen as normal and didn't like being singled out for being a twin! Totally my issue and not yours. But that MFM sounds incredibly insensitive. It's not like you had higher-order multiples.

PJ said...

Thanking God for your witness to the MFM about the sanctity of life. As your pastor, I am proud of you. Please know that on this day, God's grace, mercy, and love shined boldly through you.