So POI (progesterone in oil) injections are just a reality for embryo adoption ( IVF, etc. too). I think back to the first needle in 2010. I felt so odd; seriously, who does shots like this - every day! Now that I'm on my second go around and I have so many more EA and IVF friends, it all just seems sort of normal.
Though this is not new to me, I'm still learning in the POI department. Here are my thoughts:
Though this is not new to me, I'm still learning in the POI department. Here are my thoughts:
- First a HUGE shout out to a dear friend who has successfully entered her second trimester (praise God!!!) and has gifted me with multiple POI vials. Such a blessing.
- I just got the NEDC to okay a 50mg / 0.5ml rather than the 50mg / 1ml POI concentration. This means I only have to inject half the oil (less painful maybe?). It also means one vial lasts 10 days rather than 5 days - and amazingly even with twice the progesterone it only costs $2 more a vial. This has lowered my cost for POI from about $10/day to about $5 /day! If you are paying out of pocket for your POI like me, ask for the switch!
- On needle size. Last time I made a request for 25 gauge needles for injection - thinking smaller needle = less pain. We used them the whole time last time. This time, I made no special requests and ended up with 22 gauge needles. We used them and they work fine so I left it alone. Earlier this week, though, I came across some left over 25 gauge needles. I was excited to now be able to use a smaller needle. We tried them and to my surprise - they hurt MORE! I think there is more pressure needed to push the oil through the smaller needle and the pressure is painful. I have since switched back to the 22 gauge.
- Get a lesson if you can. In 2010, any nurse we asked for a lesson was a little dismissive. This time, our very sweet transfer day nurse Sandy took about 15 minutes to give a lesson to Robert and I. Based on her instruction and advice I am so far in a lot less pain from the shots. Thanks Sandy!!!
- Based on Sandy's advice, this time I am using ice before and heat afterwards. It's helping a lot. Way more than I thought it would. Plus, with an active toddler at home, I am enjoying an excuse to "have" to lay in bed for 20 minutes.
So that's what I have learned recently. Any other thoughts or advice?
3 comments:
Glad you're getting the concentrated stuff. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I had a relatively good experience with it. I use a 22g needle also and ice prior and heat after. I had maybe 3 knots out of 30+shots and only one big bruise.
First, just a quick correction, the abbreviation for Progesterone in Oil is generally PIO (PIE for progesterone in ethyl oleate).
I drew up with an 18g needle and injected with a 22g. I iced before, my husband would massage (hard) for 2-3 mins after, then I would apply heat (heating pad or hot washcloth) to disperse the oil. I had welts but not knots or bruises.
Good luck!
Interesting post. I have one have written about progesterone too. My doc is letting me pick whichever kind I want to use and I'm not sure what is best.
Post a Comment