Tuesday, May 27, 2014

1st Beta Today

I had my first beta drawn this morning a little after 8 a.m. I was so nervous, I found my hands shaking all morning.

The lab at the hospital said the results should be to the NEDC no later than 1:00 p.m. today, so I am hopeful that I'll get "the call" from the NEDC early this afternoon. Though, based on my loose calculations, pretty much everyone from the 7-day May NEDC cycle should be due for either their first or second beta today (due to the long weekend). This could make things a little crazy.

As we wait on my beta. I'll tell you what I do know....

Saturday (6dp5dt) - After 20 Minutes


I gave into testing on Saturday (6dp5dt). I was not going to test until Sunday, but I just could not help myself. Since I know the dollar store tests are more sensitive (20+) I started with one of them. I started the test and after a thirty seconds to a minute it was clearly just one line. Leland woke up and not wanting to look at the one line any long I went right in to him. When I came back 20 minutes later, to my surprise there was a second line. The test says not to read it outside 10 minutes, so I considered this inconclusive. 

A little while latter, I worked up the nerve to try a Clearblue Digital - which are less sensitive (50+). It took a long time for the test to run and then I got a glaring "Not Pregnant". Still I felt hopeful  - a line is a line, right???

Sunday (7dp5dt) - After 3 Minutes

Sunday, I tested again. I got a very, very faint line. This time I waited and the line appeared after about three minutes. It was so faint I was feeling a little discouraged. Still, I braved the Clearblue digital again and I got a wonderful "Pregnant" this time.

Sunday (7dp5dt)  - Digital Test

So, today, we are hopeful. We have overcome the first hurdle in that we are pregnant! (I did another digital test this morning for a little reassurance and it too was positive). But as my seasoned ladies know - this is just the first hurdle. Knowing my HCG level today and whether or not it rises on Thursday are our next hurdles. Then of course an ultrasound, if we are blessed to get that far. 

I am hoping for a level of 100+ - this is based on my non-scientific theory that if I tested positive two days ago on a test that reads only 50+ , seeing a level of over 100 today could kind of indicate doubling. Again, not really scientific.  

Also, assuming a good level today, I am very excited about calling our donors. This is a new experience for me. Although we have an open relationship with Leland's genetic parents, the initial contact was managed through a social worker - we actually did not have direct contact until Leland was over a year. This time all the contact is direct (there is no social worker since we matched through Miracles Waiting). I have not shared our positive tests yet because I want to limit any emotional roller coasters for our donors by waiting on more conclusive information - as in the beta results. 

Thank you for all your prayers and support through this process. I know four other ladies who cycled this month, all of which have betas today. Here are two of their blogs if you want to show them some love today: Baby on Mind and Chronicles of an Adoption

4 comments:

Aaron and Jennifer said...

Praying for a great number today! :)

Deborah said...

Aaah! This bring me right back to those days (now that I'm done TTC), how exciting it is to think that you might be pregnant and how easy it is to overanalyze everything.

I don't think your theory is that unscientific at all. It makes a lot of sense. And if the digital went from Not Pregnant to Pregnant, clearly your HCG is rising. I hope you get good news today, and again Thursday!

Diane said...

This makes me happy. Praying for a fabulous number!

Malia said...

Yay! Congrats! Praying for a great number :)