Thursday, May 15, 2014

Leland Updates + Reflections on Mother's Day

Lately, most of my posts are been related to my upcoming cycle. I thought today I would take a break from that and share a few Leland updates and stories:

1. Conversations with Leland 

Here are two of our recent exchanges:

Leland, running in off the school playground, stops and turns to me. With a serious tone, he asks “Mama, is there dirt in my mouth” and precedes to open wide for me to examine this mouth. I bend down, examine his mouth, and with an equally serious tone state, “no, I don’t see any dirt.” Satisfied, he says, “okay.”

 - - - - - - 

Driving Leland home from school I say “ouch, my knee hurts” (having recently injured it). Leland tells me, “ice cream will make your knee feel better.” I agree with him and we have ice cream as soon as we get home. The next morning, seeing my still injured knee, Leland admits, “ice cream won’t really heal your knee.”   

2. School Update

School is almost done for the year. Leland, having moved up from the Toddler to the Primary Community at his Montessori school will have a bridging ceremony on Friday. I'm so proud of how much he has grown this year.

3. Mother's Day 

We spent Mother's Day weekend playing in Chattanooga, TN. This is the third year in a row we have done this on Mother's Day weekend and it's becoming a really great tradition. Every year we stay in a cabin at the same campground on Lookout Mountain.

It really stuck me this year what an awful holiday Mother's Day is. Although it is wonderful to celebrate the hard work and sacrifice our mother's make, it is really a holiday filled with angst. Grief for mother's (and their husbands) who have lost and buried their children; grief for women (and their husbands) still longing to be mothers; grief for those who have lost their own mother - or who may be estranged from their mothers; sadness for mother's who have placed their precious children for adoption; stress for how to properly honor our mothers in a world dictated by external, social expectations, obligations, etc. I feel so blessed for the ability to celebrate mother's day with my son in my arms and my mother by my side. And yet, I kind of wish this "holiday" would just go away. This is likely why I choose to spend the holiday out of town, camping, playing, etc. - escaping from the "real world"...not attending church...not going to brunch....

Okay - rant over. Here are a few pictures from our trip: 











2 comments:

Deborah said...

Those stories are so cute! And did you dye your hair?

Ashley said...

I agree, I think we should do away with Mother's Day...and most other holidays.