Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Break Up

Thursday was a rough day. I was busy at work. I had a doctor appointment that after waiting for an hour and a half was rescheduled. And, I am just so tired from the crazy long days we have been pulling. I rushed to pick Leland up from school and realized that I had not had a chance to pump yet. I was a little engorged so I went ahead and nursed him, planning to pump on the ride home. We ended up eating dinner in the car and I totally forgot to pump on in the car on the way. So, I figured that I would pump after I got Leland settled into bed and everything ready for the next day.

For about the last month or two I have only been pumping once per day. I send one 3 oz breast milk bottle (actually it’s a sippy cup) as a mid-morning snack. I believe it serves more as a comfort measure than a nutritional necessity. And in reality, he only asks for this bottle about half of the days. Pumping once per day has been so much easier than six months ago when I was pumping six or more times a day, but it still takes time and requires nightly pump part washing.

So, Thursday night, I am sitting in his glider, nursing him to sleep, dreading adding pumping to the to-do list before bed when I had an epiphany. Leland will be 14 months on Monday (eek!)… he still nurses 3-5 times per day…he doesn’t NEED those 3 oz. So, there and then, I decided to give up the pump.

One of the reasons I have not given up pumping sooner is for fear my milk supply will dwindle. There is something reassuring about actually seeing the milk in the bottle. But, my supply – while still low – is sufficient for his current needs. And I have faith that as He has thus far, God will provide the milk that Leland needs.

Friday, I sent a half milk / half formula cup to school for his morning “snack.” But, he didn’t even ask for it, because he doesn’t really need it. J

So. There you have it. On August 30, 2012, after thirteen months, three weeks, and six day…I broke up with my pump!  


IN OTHER PUMPING NEWS…since the incident, the secretary now calls me on the phone if she needs something or has a question. She hasn’t even knocked on my closed door since!!!

1 comment:

Anna said...

haha! I'm glad the secretary got the point! I need to clean and sterilize my pump and put it away, now that you mention it. I'm not sad to see it go! :)