Monday, August 20, 2012

Conversations with Leland

Leland is talking more and more. It’s still only one word at a time, but he is very verbal. New words just this week include book, bird, and Mimi. Over the weekend, we had two very cute and funny conversations.

Saturday morning Mimi and Grandpa were here for a visit. I had got Leland out of bed, changed his diaper, and nursed him. We were then walking down the hall and Robert was coming from the other direction. The conversation whet like this:

Robert: I’m going to feed Daisy (our dog). Do you want to come?
Leland: Yes
(Leland climbs from my arms to Robert’s arms)
Me: Leland, Mimi is here. Do you want to go see Mimi?
Leland: Squeals (and JUMPS from Robert’s arm back to mine)

I guess Mimi is popular!

Sunday morning I was nursing Leland. He had just finished on my right side and was about to switch to nursing on my left. He sat up from the right side and the conversation went like this:

Me: You ready to switch to the other side.
Leland: Book (pointing to the stack of his books on the nearby end table)
Me: Do you want more milk?
Leland: Book
Me: We still have the other side. Do you want to nurse some more?
Leland: Book
Me: Do you want milk or book?
Leland: (thinks for a second) Book

So, feeling a little rejected, I picked up the four books on the table and let Leland pick. He picked “Brown Bear, Brown Bear” and we read it. Thankfully, (at least for my ego) about ten minutes later Leland was playing in his room with Robert; I walked in and Leland ran up to me, grabbed my legs and asked for milk.

I am really enjoying Leland beginning to show his personality and expressing his preferences verbally. He keeps me smiling.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

It's so fun to be able to communicate with them!
On the yogurt melts, they will thaw pretty quickly after you take them out of the freezer so I would only take out what he will eat at one time and put the rest in a ziplock bag or something and leave in the freezer. I haven't actually made any yet but keep meaning to!

Jen said...

We have the milk-book-milk-book conversation every morning and every night. They're so much fun at this age!

Deborah said...

Does Leland call his grandmother Mimi? That's what I call my grandmother! It is not very common, so it's cool to find someone else who does that. :)

Anonymous said...

I love when they get to the age that they start communicating clearly. So much fun!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

It's a fabulous thing to experience, isn't it? I love hearing Ginny's words and watching her make thoughtful choices.

Unknown said...

Hello from ICLW...congrats on your blessing. I always love to see success for those who have been struggling with this. It gives me hope! :) He is such a cute little boy!!