Thursday, September 27, 2012

God Knows

The trials of infertility taught me the invaluable lesson of God’s perfect timing. The true beauty in God’s timing is how it unveils God’s perfect plan. A plan far greater and far more “perfect” than any of us could ever have imagined. A plan so perfect that when we look back on how the pieces of the plan came together it’s like small intricate puzzle pieces interlocking the pieces of our lives. When we don’t know or understand the how or the why – God knows.

God has been working in my life and the life of my family. Many of you have followed our 9 month home search saga. After months and months of searching, five failed offers, and nearly 3 months under contract going round and round with underwriting on issue after issue, we finally have our dream home. It is so much more house than we ever planned on or dreamed about. Really more house than we need for just three of us. But God knows and God plans for our needs before we even know we have a need.

About a month after we had gone under contract on the house my mother called. She was having a very overwhelming week. I don’t really talk about it much – even to others in my real life – but my dad suffers from Lewy Body Dementia. Mostly I don’t talk about it out of respect for my dad’s privacy and dignity. It has been explained to me that Lewy Body Dementia is similar to Parkinson’s Disease only the dementia comes first, followed by the motor skill problems (opposite of how Parkinson’s onsets). My mom is a nurse and is 14 years younger than my dad. She is an amazing care giver! But her job as caregiver is hard and lonely. And, in addition to caring for my dad, she has been working full time (plus call / overtime) and managing the house all alone.

When she called me that day she sounded almost hopeless – hopeless about my dad’s prognosis and progression, hopeless about her own future. It broke my heart. I just hurt for her and I cried out to God for an answer. I too saw no solution – no hope – to better her situation. So I prayed, and prayed for several days seeking an answer for God. And then, there it was, right in front of me. My parents need to move in with us. Robert and I talked about it; prayed about it. And then I spoke with my mom.

Since making the decision to move in with us, my mom has a renewed hope. Yes, she is overwhelmed with the details of packing up a home in Florida and moving back to Georgia, but she now has a light at the end of the tunnel. She won’t have to work. She will be able to care for my dad and spend time with my dad – time that I hope and pray will be a blessing to both my mom and dad.

I praise God for His omnipotent, all knowing, and perfectly executed plan. And ask for prayers for our family. Prayers for the renovations that need to be completed in our basement to accommodate them; prayers for my mom as she packs up their house; prayers for my dad’s health and prayers for our family relationships as we make the complex transition to living under one roof.

5 comments:

Aaron and Jennifer said...

I'll be praying for you and your family! My granddad also suffers from Lewy Body Dementia and is in a nursing home now... :(

Deborah said...

Wow. That is wonderful that you're able to help so much in what must be such a stressful situation. Will your mom work once she moves, or will the decreased housing expenses mean she can stay home with him? I know you guys will need to set some ground rules about living together, but it sounds like a great plan.

KayBee said...

Im so sorry to hear about your fathers diagnosis. How wonderful that you are able to help your mother in such a time of need. Im certain it will be wonderful to have them close. Praying for you and your family.

Ashley said...

That's great that you can help them out like that. Praying for your family as you get ready for some big adjustments.

Lady Grey said...

I'm so glad to hear how we'll it all worked out. God does know :)