Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Things Not to Say to an Infertile #112

I was on my way out of the daycare a few weeks ago when I bumped into one of the other mothers. We talked for a while about several things when the discussion fell on whether or not I was going to have another child soon. I candidly shared that conceiving Leland had been difficult and shared our Embryo Adoption story with her.

She replied – trying to relate – that she had difficulty conceiving as well and that she had a difficult pregnancy, developing gestational diabetes at about 5 months…JUST WEEKS PRIOR TO HER WEDDING. Really, honey…I am so sorry it took you and your boyfriend several months of unprotected sex to get knocked up. Are you kidding me???

3 comments:

KayBee said...

I knew there were stupid people out there, but man alive... the topic of infertility makes people take it to a whole other level!

Diane said...

I heard something similar to this once. It's just...frustrating!

Anonymous said...

Some people just don't get it. They think a few months or tries is a long time. Try years, plenty of tears, a ton of drugs and IVF failures. Can you tell I am bitter? Haha. But seriously some people are just not sensitive towards infertility and what we go through.