Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Mama, what color will they be?"

I had a sweet conversation with Leland this morning about the babies. It started with him asking me more questions about my belly getting bigger. He then wanted me to tell him again what their names are. Then the conversation turned to how they will look.

"Mama, what color will they be?"

At first I was a little taken back by the question, I think mostly because this is probably the first time he has talked about skin color. But then it occurred to me what a valid question it is - and really no different than the question of hair or eye color. Fortunately Leland has been exposed to families built by a variety of means, sometimes resulting in multiple skin colors within one family. I really hope this question comes from a place of early and basic understanding that family is more than just genetics.

After I answered his question about skin, the conversation turned to hair and eye color. Leland predicts that one will have red hair and the other will have pink hair. Both will have blue eyes. I like his predictions, but reminded him that it will be a surprise.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I was surprised by how early J started talking about skin color, too. I think you're right that it's because he's been exposed to a lot of diversity. He still doesn't quite undrrstand why he would look a little like each of us, though ( wants to look like one or the other).

Malia said...

I read that wrong. I read "Leland predicts that both will have eyes"

I thought, right on! Funny :P

I love the questions from kiddos :)