Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Donor Testing Results

Our donor’s platelet typing test came back and I really can say that the results are both an answer to prayer and confirmation of our momentous journey ahead. If you’re not caught up on what I am talking about you can check out my posts on the platelet incompatibility issues and on asking our donors to undergo testing.

Our donors are both platelet type AA. This means both babies will also be AA. For a visual, I am bringing out my inner geek again with a genetic table:


Since my platelet type is BB, I am incompatible with both babies. And without treatment, my antibodies would attack and destroy the babies’ platelets. Finding out that our donors are both AA is an answer to prayers in that the information is conclusive and I will not need to undergo an amniocentesis. On the other hand, I will need to undergo weekly IV infusions of Immunoglobulin (IVIG) starting at 20 weeks, though the time of delivery.

Sometimes I think about this as just one more step on our uphill road to parenthood. Sometime I just take it in stride knowing God has an awesome plan for my life and the lives of my children, no matter the challenges or outcomes.

Other times, the fear of the unknown and the magnitude of the journey ahead are paralyzing. Fear can be crushing. And this journey, if we let it, can be full of fear. 

3 comments:

It Is What It Is said...

Information is knowledge and knowledge is power. You have the power, you are doing what you can (and are way more informed than many would be) and that is all that is asked of you.

Just T said...

I have been on weekly IVIG infusions since the beginning of my pregnancy and will continue well into the third trimester. I know it has helped keep me pregnant.

Good luck to you!

PJ said...

I agree with the earlier poster. Knowledge is power.

And ... you will have prayer warriors behind you. You already do. What's one more prayer to the list?

Most importantly ... you have a God who already knows. Through His strength, you can do this! Praise Him that we live in an age where all of this is possible!