Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Contractions!?!

Sunday night as I was getting Leland into bed I noticed I was having several sharp abdominal pains. Robert finished reading to Leland and I went to rest in bed. After a short time, the only way I could describe the pains was as contractions. They were rhythmic and at their peak, they were strong enough to take my breath away. I tried emptying my bladder, drinking fluids and resting  - but they persisted. I never had any Braxton Hicks contractions with Leland, but having had contractions during my induction with Leland I was nearly certain that what I was feeling had to be contractions.

Worried, I called the after hours line with my OB / MFM office. The on-call doctor ran through the typical questions - sex? gas pains? ligament pain? - she seemed to imply that if it really was contractions that would be the sign of a miscarriage and that at 13 weeks there would be nothing to be done about it. She did recommend I come into the office first thing Monday.

Monday morning, I called for an appointment and was relieved that my OB actually had an available appointment. As soon as he came in, I explained what had been happening. He immediately said that contractions at 13 weeks with twins is completely normal due to the extensive stretching of my uterus. He reassured me and pointed out that they will continue as I continue to grow. I had a brief ultrasound to see their heartbeats. Right now babies are both transverse (laying left to right) one on top of the other.

I am so relieved that they are growing and doing well. Contractions are scary, but I am relived to now know that they are normal - maybe even a good sign of growth. Though, between working full-time, toddler wrangling, and running back and forth to the doctor, I am feeling the physical toll more that I would have expected so early.


3 comments:

Just T said...

I had no idea about the contractions with twins. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

Glad everything is ok with the babies!!

Deborah said...

Scary! But glad you're okay.