Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Big Brother

We've told Leland that I am pregnant and that there are two babies. Sometimes, with a just turned three year old, it's hard to know if he really understands. Of course, he can never fully comprehend the extent his world will change. Though lately we've had a few sweet moments that let us know it really is sinking in...

TELLING HIS TEACHER

After telling Leland, I waited about two weeks before telling his teacher who was keeping him for the summer. I went back and forth about telling her and since I had been so nervous about telling I waited. Turns out, by the time I told her, she already knew. Seems Leland had been talking about it daily, explaining to her that he is having two babies.

TAKING CARE OF MAMA

Lately I've had the habit of falling asleep in Leland's bed at his bedtime. I'm just so tired and he asks so sweetly for me to say for just a little bit. Earlier this week, knowing I would likely fall asleep, I asked Robert to come back and wake me in about 30 minutes. I expected Leland to be asleep by then and I could get up after my catnap and get a few things done. When a Robert returned he found me asleep and Leland sitting up in bed rubbing my head. As Robert approached, Leland said "this is my mama; she has two babies." He takes such good care of me. :)

WISDOM OF A CHILD

Last night I had Leland wrapped in a towel after his bath. He asked me to carry him to his room. I swooped him up up is my arms like a baby and proceeded to carry him. As we walked down the hall I asked him, "are you ready to be a big brother?" He replied - a little indignant, in a tone as if I had been teasing him - and said "I already am a big brother." Yes, yes he is. What a great reminder that he is not a brother-to-be, but rather already is a big brother to these two tiny precious babies!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

So sweet! I love watching kids who really are so little step up and feel so responsible for people smiler than they are. I feel like it's been so good for J to be a big brother.

Malia said...

That is so sweet! It sounds like he really loves his little siblings already :)

Sara said...

I think this is the sweetest thing ever! He is ready to be a great big brother!