Saturday, October 22, 2011

Breastfeeding Inspiration from Moses

Growing up, the story of Moses was always my favorite Bible story. As a young child I could tell you the whole story start to finish, all about the burning bush, the plagues, and the parting of the sea. I remember one time at vacation bible school the teacher asked if anyone knew who Moses was. I raise my hand and proceeded to recite the story in full. The story of Moses was one that always stuck with me.

Through most of my life Moses has reminded me that sometimes God calls up for tasks that we don’t feel we are qualified for. Moses told God that he should send someone else – someone better – to free the Israelites. I never thought that Moses was telling God no because he did not want to do what God asked. Rather, I always perceived that Moses simply felt unqualified, as if there was someone else who could do a better job. I have felt this was many times in my life. I felt this was when God called me to go to law school. And its’ only now – almost seven years later – that I am beginning to see what he had planned for me. Many times in my life I have reminded myself that just like with Moses, when God calls us, God will provide us with the skills necessary to do what Gad has called us to do.

Recently I have found new inspiration from the story of Moses. I have had trouble with milk production. Actual, medical trouble with milk production. There were even a few weeks (about weeks 2-5) when we had to supplement a few ounces a day of formula. I am now producing just enough milk. I pump 4-5 times a day just to get the 12oz Leland needs while he is at daycare. I get frustrated sometimes. I get sick of the pump. I get envious of those women who have a freezer full of extra milk form just pumping once or twice per day. But then, I am convicted.

I am reminded that God provides just what we need. More specifically, I am reminded of Moses and the Israelites in the desert. God provided manna from heaven and told the Israelites to collect just enough for the day, no more. God was teaching them to trust Him. So when I get frustrated or envious, I focus on Moses and thank God for providing enough breast milk for Leland each day. It doesn’t matter that it is just barely enough, it is enough. God will provide. God will not let Leland go hungry. God is good!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Isn't it amazing that we can do more than we think we are capable of? and God knows we can do it? Even in the little things...
Oh and I loved your DWP post. Very funny.
Thanks for the comment on my blog.

MrsH said...

I also had lots of lactation problems, and still do, but things are improving. I blogged a fair bit about my frustration with the situation. I have to rememnber that if I don't have enough milk, God has provided all the formula in the world to supplement. Plus, a good friend who helped me by pumping some. Who knows what will come your way. But I promise, your little baby will not go hungry. ICLW 48 www.asecondline.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Don't forget...everywhere Miriam (Moses's sister) went, an oasis sprang...even in the desert! :)