Friday, October 3, 2014

More Updates

Every week is just so packed lately that I loose track of a the updates. Here are the highlights:
  • I'm 22 weeks, 5 days today. I am finding myself counting down the days until viability (24 weeks).
  • I had my follow up anatomy scan last Friday, which was primarily focused on looking at their hearts. Everything looked great. Hearing good reports on my girls is such a blessing as everything else is so trying right now.
  • I had my second infusion last Friday and am having my third one today. Overall they are going well in that I haven't had a major reaction. They are hard though. Last Friday left me with a huge and painful bruise on my arm from the IV. And the side effects are severe headache, light/sound sensitivity, and just a sick feeling (flu/sinus like). Last week the side effects lasted a shorter time than they did after the first infusion, which is both a blessing and a good sign that the side effects will either remain stable or lessen - but not get worse.
  • The babies are really starting to move a lot. It's both very exciting and a little painful. Robert felt them move for the first time last week which was a very special moment.
  • I have cribs. I ended up paying a little more for them but think they will be a great fit. They have arrived, but are still in boxes in the garage. One step at a time. Mostly just hopeful that neither is damaged from shipping.
  • I am still facing an ongoing and uphill battle for medical care. Some battles are small, while others are huge: 
    • I had my TSH drawn last Friday. Results should take a few hours, but on Monday there were still no results. After multiple phone calls I discovered my blood had been drawn, but not tested. Really, how does this even happen?
    • During one of these calls to the infusion center where my blood was drawn I was told by a nurse that on Friday I had been given a cancer drug rather than IVIG. When I started freaking out she recanted and said she "remembered me" and was sure I got IVIG. I have since confirmed that the only medication checked out from the pharmacy on Friday for me was IVIG, but still scary to think about. 
    • And the huge battle? My treatment protocol ordered is just wrong! Standard protocol (national accepted; developed by the experts) should be weekly IVIG from Weeks 20-31 and twice weekly IVIG from Weeks 32-37. What was ordered instead: weekly IVIG from Weeks 20-27, twice weekly IVIG from Weeks 28-29, and NO IVIG from Weeks 30-37. Considering the antibody reaction only gets stronger and more dangerous closer to delivery this is absolutely CRZAY! I know in the end this will be fixed (I will be sure of it), but it is so absurd that such wrong treatment could be ordered. To think, if I didn't know better to throw such a fit to my doctors...
  • Tuesday is my next growth scan

4 comments:

Just T said...

Hopefully they get all the orders in line quickly. It sounds like you are doing such a great job with infusions and everything associated with carrying twins and immune protocol. It can be overwhelming, but you are doing fabulous!

Deborah said...

I'm trying to figure out how you're managing to keep track of all this while working a full-time job and raising a preschooler... wow!

And I'm glad you got the cribs!

You are soooo close to viability. That should bring you some reassurance.

Malia said...

Way to stick up for your babies! Mama knows what best :)

Unknown said...

Hang in there. Praying for you and your little ones.