Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Bumps, Fevers, and Chills

BUMPS

After Leland’s run with doctors in September I was optimistic that October would be a quite month. It was going well, until last Thursday, when the phone rang. You may know how your stomach drops the moment you see you child’s school on the caller ID? I was getting off the interstate on my way back to the office from court when it rang – Leland had fell and busted his chin. It looked like it may need stitches.

I quickly changed turn lanes and rushed to his school. When I arrived they told me the bleeding has stopped. He was laying on the floor in his classroom. Upon first look it wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was split open pretty wide. So off to urgent care we went.

Thankfully, although the cut was wide, it was not deep. He only needed sterry strips and a bandage. He did great. Afterwards we went for ice cream and then to Lowe's to buy pumpkins and paint for the nursery.

FEVERS

Friday night, after my infusion, Leland felt a little feverish. Robert took his temperature, but it was only about 98.9. Saturday it temperature topped 101. Knowing he had been exposed to strep this past week at school I took a look at his throat and it was classic strep throat (red, inflamed, cover in white stuff). So off to urgent care again!

Saturday night when I went in to check on him his temperature had reached 103.6. After a moment of panic, I woke him up to take some more Motrin. I took him to my bed to keep an eye on him through the night. Thankfully, his temperature went down and stayed in the 100-101 range the rest of the night.

Sunday morning, Leland and I both lounged on the couch watching Curious George movies while Robert went to church and the grocery store. Even with Motrin, his fever lingered in the 100-101 range all day.

CHILLS

Sunday night I went in to check on Leland one last time about midnight. I was worried his fever may have spiked again. I tiptoed over, took his temperature. It read 95.7. I took it three more times – all in the high 95’s and low 96’s. I called for Robert; I began to panic. I have never encountered a low temperature before – I didn't know what to do or even what it meant! I swooped his little body into my arms. He was ice cold and drenched in sweat. He felt limp in my arms. In that moment I was so scared for him.

We called my mom (she’s a nurse) several time without an answer. We called Robert’s aunt (also a nurse) and thankfully she answered. She said it could be from his fever breaking. She suggested we try to warm him and bring his temperature up, but to take him to the ER if it wasn't improved in an hour. We tried socks, dry clothes, laying him skin-to-skin on Robert’s chest wrapped in warm blankets. For a bit it looked like it was rising, but then it wasn’t. I pulled out a second thermometer to be sure I was getting correct readings – this one read 95.5. Toward the end of the hour, I called the 24- hour nurse line. After about 100 questions she finally recommended the ER as well. So off we went!

Our local hospital is not that great. But we have an amazing children’s hospital about an hour away in Atlanta. I generally have a policy that if it is serious enough it can’t wait till morning then it is serious enough to drive to the good hospital. We bundled him up and blasted the heat at 85 the whole way there. Heading out the door, both Robert and I got coffee. Leland asked for some too and we happily accommodated to get some warm fluids in him. The whole drive I sat in the back seat, hand on his chest, monitoring his reparations.

As we arrived at the ER he woke back up and actually seemed a little better than he had been at the house. His temperature was now registering right at 97 and continued to rise. I was relieved to see him more alert and his skin not so ice cold. We saw the doctor. Her official medical conclusion was that our thermometer is broken. Seriously? In the end it didn't matter, because he was doing better and that is what matters. But I did feel very brushed off; his prior symptoms dismissed; my fears made to seem silly.

We finally arrived home about 6 a.m. on Monday morning and got to sleep for the first time all night. I honestly can’t remember the last time I stayed up all night. After about a 3 hour nap I headed into work and Robert stayed home with Leland. Monday afternoon we followed up with our Pediatrician. He really couldn't explain the low temperatures either, outside of maybe the fever breaking, but at least he fully believed me.

After all of this, I am exhausted. I waver back in forth between “if I can handle this, I can handle twins and a toddler” and “how could I possibly handle all this with twins in tow too?” For today though, I am just so thankful that Leland is healthy and that I get to be his Mama. 

5 comments:

Just T said...

Poor little guy. He definitely went through the ringer. So glad he is feeling much better.

You can definitely manage your twins and your son. It will take some patience and persistence, along with some time.

I am hoping the same for me :)

Herbal Tea said...

Wow. Scary. I highly doubt your thermometer was broken, if he felt cold to the touch.

And I don't know about twins, but for me there was something about not having my own body that made managing a toddler while pregnant really challenging. Once Bean was born, it was hard, but at least I was myself again when I had to deal with things.

Sara said...

I would be really freaked out of the cold temperature too. That's not common that I've heard of. And a broken thermometer?

Stacey said...

We had the same thing with my then 22 month old! Daycare called and reported a 96 degree temp. I picked him up and called dr. They said bring him to ER. At check in they said it must've been a broken therm. Then someone else took his temp (not hearing our backstory) and claimed their therm was broken! They wound up taking his temp 3 different ways with temps all in the 95 something. They gave him iv fluids and claimed it was dehydration, but that the temp was unrelated. What? They never could explain such a low temp. A week later he had a small seizure at school and had low temps again! Back to the ER we went. Lots of tests and no more seizures later, they said he's fine. That was about 6 months ago. So bizarre. I (and apparently every doctor ever) had never heard of low temps and the only explanation I could find was poison, which definitely not the case. So stupid to blame faulty thermometers. I completely understand your ordeal.

Jen said...

That sounds so scary! I am glad he is ok!