Much of the fun in holiday is traditions. Robert and I have been very purposeful with starting traditions young with Leland. Our thoughts are that if we don’t start them now (or really at birth) when do we start them? So we talked a lot about what was important to us and how we wanted to celebrate Christmas with children.
Very important is how do we develop family holiday traditions that keep the focus of Christmas on Jesus. One way, for us, is using an Advent Calendar to facilitate a daily family devotional.
Last year, I found this great wooden Advent Calendar.
I also have nativity window / wall cling stickers. I cut them into individual stickers and use one sticker each day to build the nativity scene.
I also print off a daily devotional. This year I found a great one online written especially for children at Advent. I can't figure out how to load it here, but if you are interested I'd be happy to email it to you.
In each box there is a daily devotional page folded up, along with the nativity sticker, and one M&M just for fun. This was a huge hit with Leland last year and was really a blessing to our family to set aside this time together each night before Leland's bedtime.
Are you doing an Advent Calendar this year?
Very important is how do we develop family holiday traditions that keep the focus of Christmas on Jesus. One way, for us, is using an Advent Calendar to facilitate a daily family devotional.
Last year, I found this great wooden Advent Calendar.
I also have nativity window / wall cling stickers. I cut them into individual stickers and use one sticker each day to build the nativity scene.
I also print off a daily devotional. This year I found a great one online written especially for children at Advent. I can't figure out how to load it here, but if you are interested I'd be happy to email it to you.
In each box there is a daily devotional page folded up, along with the nativity sticker, and one M&M just for fun. This was a huge hit with Leland last year and was really a blessing to our family to set aside this time together each night before Leland's bedtime.
Are you doing an Advent Calendar this year?
It’s not too late. Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent. And in full disclosure, last year I was running late and had to scale ours down to just three weeks, but it was still rewarding and successful!
Don’t have an Advent Calendar? Consider using plain envelopes and just writing numbers on them!


3 comments:
Great ideas! I took love using advent calendars. I like the window clings you found!
This is cool. I think it's awhile before kids are able to enjoy activities where you do a little each night, but I do hope it becomes a fun tradition for your family. I like the idea.
We're doing Truth in the Tinsel with Matthew and it's been awesome.
I love the clings you found. I've looked for some locally but have been unsuccessful in finding them.
Post a Comment