As I mentioned in my previous post, we spent Mother’s Day at the Tennessee Aquarium. One of our favorite exhibits is the penguin exhibit. I have loved penguins since I was little and Robert loves them too. Really, who doesn’t like penguins?
Our timing was perfect on Sunday. We arrived at the penguin exhibit just as a show / presentation was starting. She pointed out all the mating pairs and that there were four pairs who already had an egg. By August, the remaining pairs could also produce an egg. Then she explained that most of the eggs don’t survive and that in the past five years there have only been two live births of baby penguins at the aquarium. She said they have learned that an egg does not equal a live chick.
I have to assume that most people gave this comment no more than a passing thought. But it just hit so close to home for me. It made me a little sad for the penguins and for the couples I know trying so hard to bring home their baby.
How well we all know that an egg – or even an embryo- does not equal giving birth to a baby.

2 comments:
Are you from Chatt? I'm in Ringgold. Good post. I think of that a lot.
Aww, poor penguins. I wonder if they get sad, too?
Post a Comment