Saturday, September 13, 2014

Short Medical Update

First, with all the stress of the week, I really never mentioned our anatomy scan. They were able to get a good look at everything except the hearts which they will scan in two weeks. All their measurements and organs looked great. Their heart rates were 148 and 150. They are basically identical in size, both weighing an estimated 10 ounces. Getting such a great report is very reassuring.

On the NAIT front...I have done some follow up allele testing with my current hematologist which should indicate whether I fall in the low risk or high risk group. I have also had a consult with a second hematologist. She has more experience with NAIT and although I had to pay out of pocket (and drive several hours) to see her I am so glad I did. She told me that the antibody test my hematologist is running is the WRONG test - a similar test, but still the wrong test (hence the negative results). She had my blood drawn to run the correct test (same test I previously tested positive on for antibodies) and we should have those results next week. She is also planning to call my MFM on Monday to discuss my case.

I also have an appointment set with another MFM on Tuesday. I'm hopeful the second hematologist will talk some sense into my current MFM on Monday or that at least one lab result will be back that supports the need for treatment. If not, I will meet this new MFM on Tuesday and see what he has to say.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support. This has been a really hard week and your encouragement means so much. 

4 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, you are going through so much with these appointments and medical opinions. I pray the doctors have wisdom and the right decisions can be made to keep the babies both safe! I'm sure it gets exhausting between the worry and appointments. Hang in there!

Just T said...

Sounds like those babies are doing amazing and you are keeping on top of things!

Deborah said...

I'm so glad you've been able to see some doctors whose opinions & expertise you feel comfortable with. It sounds like it's been a lot of work! I like the idea of having the hematologist tslk to your current MFM. Good luck!

Andrea said...

I'm so glad you've been able to gain medical support and that those sweet babes are growing well! I'll continue to pray for the best possible medical care and team for you.