From following other’s infertility journey I have noticed
that it is common to dread a certain time a year as it marks one more year of
trying without success; one more year without a baby. Common times seem to be
birthdays, Christmas, or the anniversary of the time of year they started
trying to conceive (TTC). Looking back I never really faced birthday or
Christmas with dread. Not even Mother’s Day got me down because I had always
seen it as a day to honor my mother, nothing more. And we don’t have a TTC
anniversary because conception with Premature Ovarian Failure is practically
impossible. But for some reason February has always held some power over me.
I remember around the end of 2009, telling Robert that I
just had to be pregnant by February of 2011. I did not understand the deadline,
but I felt very strongly about it. Going into our transfer in November 2010, I
kept thinking if this isn’t successful, we have one more try to meet the February
2011 deadline. Thankful our first transfer was a success. But why February?
I have reflected on this often, and the only milestone in February
is my dad’s birthday. (I don’t think Valentine’s Day would have any effect). My
dad will be 70 on February 22, 2012. His physical health is good, but he is struggling
with an unspecified dementia, with some indication that it may be Parkinson’s
Disease. My dad is my world and my hero and I think February must have held
such a power over me because I wanted my dad to be here when my children are
born. My granddaddy (my dad’s dad) was an incredible man, but he died before I
was born. I never wanted that for my children. I want my dad to know my
children and my children to know my dad. And I am so thankful that they will have
that opportunity to know one another. Still I fear that Leland may be too young
to remember or really know my dad if my dad only lives a few more years.
In honor of my dad’s 70th Birthday, I am planning
a party with a sit-down lunch for about 40 people in my hometown. It’s a little
overwhelming, but I am really happy to be able to do thing for my dad. Best of
all I am hoping to get all four of my sisters / half-sisters and me together
with my dad for this event. Only once before has my dad seen all five of his
daughters together at one time. And it will be an opportunity for the three of
my sister who have not yet met Leland to meet him. I’m tired from all the prep,
but really looking forward to spending time with family to honor my dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment