Today was my first day back to work. Leading up to today, I kept thinking that I can’t go “back”. You can never go back, only forward. So while I was returning to work I wasn’t “going back”. I’m now a working mother. Getting out of the office on time, if not early, has never been so important. And this can be a difficult task for an attorney. So, I’m moving forward in my new roll as working mom, as I tackle the transition of returning to work.
It was as if he knew I was going to work today. For weeks he as been sleeping until about 5 AM. This morning, he woke up at 2:45 AM to sneak in an extra feeding, allowing him to nurse twice this morning before I left. Making today easier was the fact that my husband took off work to stay home with him. Monday may be harder as he starts daycare and I have to drop him off and leave. The plan for this fall is for my husband to take off two days per week, and for me to take off a day about every other week so he is only in daycare 2-3 days per week. He will start full-time in daycare in January.
As I pulled out of the neighborhood this morning, feeling a little teary, I noticed a rainbow in the sky. Another reminder of God’s faithfulness though this whole journey. I missed him so much today and held him for hours this evening. I’m told that it gets easier with time, but the ache and longing never really goes away. Every minute I spend with him is an incredible blessing.
One final praise. Including what I am pumping right now, I have pumped exactly the same amount as he took in the bottle today. God is good!
6 comments:
Wow, it must be quite the feeling going back to work with your maternity leave over.
That rainbow must have been gorgeous.
I hope you are enjoying your first ICLW.
iclw #39
Here from ICLW - I feel your pain! I try not to think about those first few weeks back at work, because they were so hard. I cried every day the first week. Even now, for some reason, Mondays are really hard. I miss my little guy so much. I hope you enjoy your job, at least, and that it gets easier.
Here from ICLW- Going back to work was very hard. It did get easier but I miss him when I am at work. So glad pumping went well on your first day back.
Happy ICLW! #20
I hope your first day wasn't too difficult. I've had a few coworkers who had a really hard time coming back to work - I can't imagine. Good luck with work and getting into a routine!
I'm so glad that I found your blog! It looks like we were both at the NEDC on the same day last fall and had the same beta date - and both were blessed with a pregnancy and live birth (in my case, births). God is good! :)
I can't even imagine having to go back to work!!!
I am exclusively pumping for my son (he has latch issues) if you are using an electric pump may I suggest this product, http://www.pumpease.com/ It is a "bra" that allows you to pump hands free!!
Happy ICLW
#27
Post a Comment