Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ten Years

Ten years ago today I started dating my husband. He was 18 and I was 17. We met at a boy scout camp where I had been a camper (through a co-ed program sponsored by my local girl scout council) every summer since I was 13. We met the summer I was 16, but did not really get to know each other until the following summer. The summer I was 17, he was my camp counselor. I was smitten. I had never met anyone like him. After that week of camp I couldn't stop thinking about him. I even wrote about him in a letter to a friend that I wrote several weeks after camp.

Come September, I started working weekends at camp as a climbing and ropes course instructor. To my surprise, the first weekend I worked, there he was. When I saw him we exchanged hellos and he left. I quickly followed. That night we stayed up all night sitting on the deck talking. I had never laughed so hard with anyone, except maybe my cousin/best friend.

We stared dating. We were long distance for several years. Then for two years in college we only lived 50 miles apart. Five years ago he graduated from Georgia Tech and we got married the next day. He told me after we were engaged that when he went home after that first weekend he told his best friend that he had met the girl he was going to marry. When he married me he knew about my fertility issues, but never made an issue of it. He was always optimistic and supportive. Ten years later I can say it has been a great decade!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Congrats on your little boy. I look forward to following your blog and watching him grow!