Friday, May 24, 2013

Nursing at 22 Months

Leland is twenty-two and a half months old and we are still nursing. Having come this far I want to record and share some of my thoughts and experiences. First, let me say that I am not a breast feeding expert. Far from it.

The question I get the most is "why". And honestly it is a question I consider myself frequently. I consider the question myself not with any doubts, but rather for the purpose of self reflection and analysis of priorities. So here is my candid list of why I am still nursing (in no order of importance):
  • Leland still needs it and wants it. He asks to nurse and I am happy to provide him this need / want.
  • I read an article once when I was a child that said breast feeding though age two or older provides the best defense against allergies. So I am striving to reach the two year mark based partially on a goal set for myself before I was even old enough to drive.
  • Nursing provides comfort to Leland like nothing else. When he is hurt, teething, sick, or just tired, nursing soothes him. It also distracts him while I hold ice to his head to reduce the swelling on his latest bump or bruise.
  • Nursing burns calories. I’d rather spend 20 minutes lounging in bed nursing Leland than 20 minutes on a treadmill.
  • We’ve come so far, why stop now. I fought so hard to produce milk and still have low production, but we fought the really, really hard fight and persevered. Plus it’s one of the only "womanly" things my body has managed to do. It couldn’t get pregnant, wouldn’t give birth, but amazingly by the grace of God is producing milk.
  • Nursing makes bedtime and nap time so easy. Leland can go to sleep without nursing, but it serves as such a great wind-down time and makes him nice and sleepy. Often when I put him in bed at night he is still awake, just relaxed and sleeply post-nursing.
  • Only I can do it. Having had Leland in daycare or school since he was 12 weeks old there is something comforting as his mother to have something that only I can provide him. It helps to quiet the "mommy doubt".
  • Breast milk is a great source of antibodies and has done an excellent job of boosting Leland’s immune system. Even though he has been in daycare since he was 12 weeks he has only been sick a few times (strep @ 7 months; mild ear infection @ 9 months; stomach virus @ 15 months; a few runny nose / head colds...and that’s it!)
  • Nursing provides much needed quiet time for an active toddler and a tired mommy. It’s a way I can spend time with him and still be relaxing. It’s a way to refocus and calm him if he gets overwhelmed or overexcited at a family gathering or event.
  • Nursing releases dopamine and I think I’m addicted. Seriously, I can feel that "happy hormone" release when we start nursing. By the time we are done I feel much more relaxed even if I have had a stressful day.
All of this said, nursing is hard and has its share of challenges:
  • Comments and opinions from others. "Your still nursing him?"
  • Blisters, sores, etc. Thankfully I don’t get them often, but they do happen. I have had a particularly bad sore recently that has hurt a lot. Even Leland notices and points out the "booboo" to me before he starts nursing.
  • Kicking, wiggling, etc. Sometimes nursing looks more like a wrestling match. And a few times he has kicked me so much that I have had to stop nursing him and tell him we can only continue if he will not kick me.
  • Only I can do it. Sick, hurt, tired and I’m still on deck. I’ve missed one bedtime in 22 months and all date nights, meetings, or girls nights start after Leland has gone to bed.
  • "Milk, milk, milk"..."Side, side, side" as he taps my nipple walking through the grocery store. Or sometimes he just puts his hand down my shirt. It’s partially cute and thankfully he redirected easily when it’s just not a good time to nurse, but still challenging at times.
The second most common question I get is when we will stop. And the answer is that I don’t know. I’d like to make it to age two and that’s just six weeks away (eek!), but after that I just don’t know. My hope is that he will wean himself on his own sometime between 2 and 2 ½, but we will see how it goes. Any thoughts from the more experienced mom’s out there?

Bottom line...I have been blessed beyond measure to have been able to nurse Leland this long. It is truly a gift from God.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

J nursed until 19 months, and he pretty much stopped naturally. I stopped offering it routinely at certain times of day, but if he wanted to we would. For awhile he'd do it every few days, once stopped for a whole week and then had a freakout about something and needed to nurse. He still likes to hold onto one of my breasts to calm down or fall asleep, although that's declined a little recently.

I have no idea what I'll do with C. I don't think anybody can understand how it feels to still have our bodies so connected this like, even though she's not inside me anymore. When she's not hungry for several hours, I'm sad. And i'm always running in a million directions; it's nice to be able to spend time with her that way. Kicking is already becoming a problem, though, as she discovers her feet!