Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Twenty-two Months

This has been a great month. This time last year I was holding my breath as I counted down to Leland’s first birthday, unprepared to give up the newborn days. This year I am just so excited to be watching him learn and grow. I am also counting down to the magical moment when I can turn his car seat forward facing and can stop crunching him into a little ball prior to placing him into his car seat.

Leland is bigger for sure, but I don’t have an exact measurement. My best estimate (and this really is an estimate) is that he is about 27 pounds and about 35"-36". He is still in 18 month pants and a mix of 18 month, 24 month & 2T tops. His shoe size is 6.5.


Saturday morning after breakfast we heard the train and ran to see it!
So much fun - with Nana, Granddaddy & Daddy!
 Leland has been cutting 4 (maybe 5) teeth this month. Needless to say we have had a few rough nights. One night he woke 6-8 times compared to his usual one time a night. Another night he threw up in the middle of the night. For a brief moment I thought he was actually sick, but have concluded it has something to do with his teeth. His diapers have been particularly pungent, resulting in a minor but persistent rash. At times it is clear that he is in a lot of pain. I feel for the little fellow and am doing all I can with teethers, ice, teething tabs, and the occasional dose of Tylenol.

Breakfast in Bed
Leland had his second hair cut this month. His first hair cut was at 19 months and I only let her cut the back. This time, we cut all over. I we feeling guilty at how hot he looked when he played outside and got really sweaty. I know he has to be more comfortable with less hair up top. I cringed as she snipped the long hairs up top but have concluded that his little boy hairstyle is very handsome on him.

One cold day in May...

Leland’s biggest strides are again in his verbal skills. He is using pronouns and verbs regularly. He is putting together multi-word sentences and he is telling me about things that happened in the past such as earlier that day at school. Leland can count to ten (with a little assistance), can name several shapes, and can name several colors. He is also saying names of friends, teachers, etc. much more frequently- including occasionally saying his own name. And...best of all.....he is singing a lot!

There is nothing sweeter than Leland belting out "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" as we ride to school in the morning. Right now, his favorite songs are "Twinkle, Twinkle", the alphabet song, and "Frere Jacques" I also had the opportunity to sit in on one of his Spanish classes (they have Spanish three mornings a week for 30 minutes at his school) and got to hear him sing in Spanish as well. I love that he is singing songs in three languages!

Train!
(first black eye)
Leland’s favorite toys right now are balls, trucks and trains, his shape sorter, and books. He recently discovered "Red Fish Blue Fish" and "I’ll Love You Forever". With much practice I can now make it all the way through "I’ll Love You Forever" without tearing up. Other favorite books are the Very Hungry Caterpillar, a Seek & Find Thomas book, Curious George books, and Goodnight Baby.

Overall, a really wonderfully, blessed month! God is good!

4 comments:

Malia said...

Wow! His verbal skills are impressive! Hopefully those teeth come in and stop bothering him soon :)

Tracey said...

Cute cute!

PJ said...

I love this post today, Lara. I've also been noticing that he is really doing well at church, too. He sits for the children's sermon and is doing really well during the service, too. Great update!

Room for More said...

Super duper cutie!!