Monday, May 13, 2013

Morning Conversation with Leland

"Mama, Mama, Mama" came loudly from Leland’s room this morning. He is doing much better at calling for me when he wakes rather than just crying - something we have talked about frequently.

"Hat"

Once he sees me he is no longer calling for me, but rather is requesting his knit hat from the changing table across the room. I get his hat and help him put it on his head. Now wearing his hat, he thinks for a minute, speaking slowly.

Daddy. Time?

He is asking if Daddy has left for work yet or not. Usually his first request in the morning relates to whether or not he woke up early enough to see Daddy. Sometimes he wakes just as Robert is walking out the door and I scoop him up and run downstairs for a quick goodbye. Having concluded Daddy has left, his focus shifts.

"Read Dorsey"

Dorsey is Leland’s word for dinosaur. He wants to read his new book about dinosaurs that we bought at the children’s museum over the weekend. I pick him up out of the crib and he runs over to the rocking chair to read. At the rocking chair he finds a fleece swaddle blanket I had pulled out during the night to cover my legs while he was nursing.

"Whose that’s"
"Whose that’s"

Focusing very hard on the "s" sounds in both words, he repeats himself a few more times.

"Whose that’s"
"Whose that’s"
"Whose that’s"

I tell him it’s his blanket and that we used it when he was a baby to wrap him and keep him warm.

"Baby. Warm."

He speaks matter-of-factly, now an expert on the origin and use of the blanket. He seems satisfied as to the blanket and settles in for the book.

No comments: