When I celebrated my 28th birthday in May I made a 30 before 30 list. I’ve been a bit slow getting going on the list, but have finally marked my first item off of the list: #3 Get My Legs Waxed.
I did it. A full leg wax. This is something I have considered doing for years. I hate shaving my legs. And waxing sounds so easy and maintenance free. I’ve put it off not because of a fear of waxing, but rather because of cost. Every time I would think about spending the $60 for a full leg waxing (or $35 for just the lower leg) I would think of my $5 razor and shaving cream at home and forgo the leg wax.
Before the leg wax I let my leg hair grow for about two weeks so there would be plenty of hair for the wax to grab. The waxing itself was rather painless with just a slight sting. She had a lot of trouble getting all the hair off. I am not very hairy at all (thanks to the Premature Ovarian Failure) but the hair I do have is very fine and grows in multiple directions. She actually had to change types of wax to get all of the hair.
Initially – the day I got the wax – I was a little underwhelmed with the results. My legs were red and splotchy with a bit of a rash like reaction to the wax. And there were sticky waxy spots leftover until I had a chance to shower. The second day I was a little more impressed. My legs were smooth and the rash was gone. Unfortunately, it only took about 4 to 5 days before I had stubble. From what I have learned, hair grows on a cycle and you have to get into a waxing routine for several months before you can go 2-4 weeks without stubble. It’s also possible that because my hair is so fine it was actually breaking rather than being pulled out by the root.
By two weeks my legs were just plain hairy. If I wanted to get going on the aforementioned waxing routine I couldn’t shave in between as it would interfere with the routine. So to have smoother waxed legs I would have to put up with hairier legs???
In the end, I was unimpressed with my leg wax. Plus I don’t have $60 to spend every two to four weeks. Especially when shaving only takes 5 minutes and cost less than $5 a month. But…I’ve now tried it. Something I have always wanted to try. And I have only 29 more items to go!
2 comments:
You know, I loved this post. Waxing your legs is one of those things that I've never done, but somehow I feel like I'm supposed to know how it works (which I don't). So I really like that you explained it to me. :)
Ugh, definitely doesn't sound worth it to me! Good to know from someone who's done it though.
Post a Comment