This week is National Infertility Awareness Week.
Truthfully, I’ve got nothing planned. I don’t share personal stuff on Facebook.
So really, I’ve got nothing…well, nothing but a few thoughts and comments I’ll
post here.
Also, today is the start of the April ICLW. I haven’t joined
in since last August, so I am excited to be back and look forward to finding
some new blogs this week. If you are new, check out my story.
So I’m not sure if it’s the dawning of spring, the impending
third birthday of our son, or the pheromones of actively cycling right now, but I’ve
been getting the “you need to have another child” comment a lot lately.
Yesterday at an Easter lunch – my two good friends just
having given birth to their second and third children respectively – I was
queried by an unknowing individual who strongly stated it was my turn…what are
we waiting for? To my delight, I did not have to respond – another (knowing)
friend jumped in defending me. I have to say it was really nice.
As this question is asked A LOT and as we do want another
child, I find my standard response is, “we’re working on it, but it’s easier
said than done.” This politely says “back off, I’m infertile” and generally
(after a contrite look) ends the query. Only a few dumb people press on with
rude or inconsiderate comments.
Today in a group setting I encountered this again. It was me
and three other moms (two of which I know have fertility issues) having an MPO
exec meeting. Some comments were exchanged with a teacher who was passing
though about “only children” in her class. I made a comment (maybe that was my
mistake) that we were feeling picked on having only children ourselves. The
teacher retorted – “you can fix that pretty easily.” None of us defended our
infertility, but I did exchange a knowing look with another mom.
I have to confess myself that I sometimes find the urge to
ask the “when are you going to have kids question.” I ALWAYS stop myself. But
the fact is I think it and then have to stop myself. It’s like it is bread into
our southern DNA to ask this question.
Finally, in my hodge-podge of infertility rantings, I have to
end with a Facebook pregnancy announcement rant. I have a friend who has
implied she has struggled with infertility (endometriosis), but has not shared
anything specific. She announced her pregnancy on Facebook on Saturday. I’m
happy for her – particularly since I believe she has really been struggling.
But, I’m in total shock that her announcement comes at only 7 weeks pregnant.
Does she not know this could all come crashing down around her? And then I
realize… I may be just a tad jaded.
(UPDATE: she has now taken to constant complaining about nausea and tiredness on her Facebook page....really?)
(UPDATE: she has now taken to constant complaining about nausea and tiredness on her Facebook page....really?)
Blessings to you all this week and thanks for
stopping by….
1 comment:
I get it. :( Especially about the comments about having another child. If it were only "that easy". Huge hugs
Post a Comment