Friday, April 18, 2014

Beginning My Cycle (NEDC here we come!)

I start Lupron today! Honestly, I can't believe it's really here. We've been working toward this for 9 months....

9 months since we contacted our donors
8 months since I called the NEDC to schedule our mock cycle appointment
5 months since I felt like we officially *matched*
3 months since I first held the signed ODA (open donor agreement) in my hand
2 months (almost) since our mock cycle appointment

And now we are here. So much of this process has felt like a side note in my life. During this time I buried my dad, had my mom move out of my house and out of state, watched my amazing toddler blossom with independence - all in addition to the everyday life of working full-time, serving at church and school, etc.

Having seen so many successes in March - including one of a dear friend - I am excited to have arrived at the beginning of my cycle. And as I type this I find myself repeating the words "my cycle," letting it sink in that it is finally here. Finally time to continue the journey to building our family.

Looking at the detailed, color-coded calendar I created to help me navigate my cycle is like looking at the next few weeks of my life through a film. Each event on my calendar is viewed through the film of what medication I will be on at what point and how that medication may effect me on each day, at each event. I am not too worried about Lupron - I don't remember it being any different than just being on birth control since birth control hormone doses are so low and I basically don't have any hormones or cycle of on my own I'm already having unpleasant symptoms. Now Estrace....makes me so, so sleepy and confused. Especially when I reach three doses a day, I could really just sleep all afternoon and through the night. And then the POI...I find myself scanning the days, ensuring Robert will be on hand for all injections. It's all so simple and so complicated at the same time.

My Cycle Calendar
So, here we are. Jumping in feet first. Trusting God's timing. Thank you for joining me and supporting me on this adventure. 

9 comments:

Aaron and Jennifer said...

Woohoo! Praying for a great and BFP cycle. :)

Baby On Mind said...

Ahhh..... I started mine on Tuesday! Your calendar looks a lot like mine. You must have downloaded Microsoft's calendar too. The one thing I do differently is I list each of the meds/shots on each day. So if I have to take Estrace three times a day, I have it listed 3 times. I am a visual person and that helps me see it more clearly. I also color code mine like you do. Praying this cycle is the one for both of us!

It Is What It Is said...

Good luck. You're underway!

Anna said...

I just popped in after WAY too long! So excited to hear this!! I was hoping to be starting a FET transfer cycle this summer but we're working on Fanni's adoption instead. I'll admit, I'm a little bit bummed to be waiting, but it will all work out. Praying for you!!!

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Oops! Hit publish three times! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi from ICLW! I wanted to wish you luck on your cycle! Yes--simple, complicated, but also exciting :)

Sara said...

Your calendar is so organized! I typed one too but it isn't that color coded! :)