Monday, July 22, 2013

Powerful God

We have a powerful God!

I don't talk about it much here, partially because it is in some ways a private matter and not mine place to make public. Partially because it is what it is and I don't really know what to say. The truth is, my dad is dying. He has Lewy body dementia. It is in the end stages at this point. My parents have been living with us for the past six months and he has been under hospice care for some time now.

Today he developed violent and persistent hiccuping. It lasted eight hours. Earlier in the day I prayed for him and I rubbed his feet hoping it would help the hiccups stop. The doctors prescribed him a muscle relaxer, but it didn't seem to be helping. The hiccups persisted. As I was heading towards bed my mom told me that the hiccups were getting stronger and his respirations were dropping. I went to see him.

Holding his hand as he slept I prayed, I called out to God on his behalf to stop the hiccups. After each hiccup I prayed and waited, waiting for the next one to come. As I was waiting, expecting the next hiccup I was convicted on my little faith. After several rounds of this, the hiccups continued. Then I called on the power of God. I thought back to several months ago when my dad had hurt his back so badly he could not get out of the bed. When he hurt his back I knew an injury like that would mark the beginning of the end, so I called out to God to heal him. God healed him then; in a matter of hours the pain when from excruciating to nonexistent. I focused on God's faithfulness in healing his back and I called on the power of our mighty God. And just like that...they stopped.

I cried, overwhelmed by how powerful our God is and yet so loving and caring. Tonight I am thankful the hiccups have stopped and he can sleep comfortably. God is powerful!

4 comments:

Deborah said...

It must be so hard to watch your dad suffering like that! It's wonderful that you can help both your parents by having them live with you. And I'm glad you were able to help him get some relief yesterday.

Anna said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. But I love hearing God stories! Especially when they are undeniable. Hugs and prayers with you, friend.

PJ said...

Amen. The power of God is sometimes bold and obvious. Sometimes the power of God is quiet, hidden among only a few people, in a basement bedroom. But that doesn't mean our God is any less powerful. It means our God is personal.

I'm glad you had this personal experience with God!

Kristine said...

Praise our great God for His tender mercies and touching your dad! Praying for you all!