Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Getting Shorter?

I went for a physical this week. I am trying a new doctor because even though I like my current doctor it is a nightmare getting an appointment and she is very, very expensive. With my old doctor there could be a 3-6 week wait for a sick appointment and a 3+ month wait for a well appointment. And the last time I went for a sick appointment it cost $170. Most people only pay a co-pay and have no idea or care about the amount the insurance contract authorizes. But we have an HRA, which means the amount authorized by the insurance company affects our bottom line. In contrast to my $170 sick visit, I recently had an appointment with my RE with an ultrasound. That visit was only $180, including the cost of the ultrasound.

So…my physical went mostly well. But I am concerned that I may be shrinking, I have been over 5’2” since high school. Sometimes they measure me at 5’2.25" or 5’2.5", but never less than 5’2”. This week they measured me at 5’1”. Because of my concern they re-measured me at 5’1.5”. Still, I am a little worried. Because of the premature ovarian failure I am concerned about my bone density. But then I wonder if they just can’t measure correctly?

I also had another weird occurrence at my new doctor. After waiting nearly an hour for a blood draw, (BTW – it was after 10:30 AM and I was fasting…having been awake with no food for over 5 hours….did I mention I breastfeed and kind of need to eat?) the nurse practitioner called me back to draw my blood. She looked, and looked, and looked for a vein. Then dug in…and dug some more. Knowing where my vein is from all those wonderful past blood draws I knew she was way off the mark. She then pulled out the needle, and before I could blink RESTUCK me with the now unsterile, dull needle. I screamed a bit because I was so startled and the dull needle really hurt. I’m still not sure if I should say anything to her or the doctor or if I should say with this new office.

I am leaning towards staying with the office, but asking for a lab slip for all future blood work. And then only saying something about what happened if they question why I want a lab slip to take elsewhere. What do you think?

No comments: