When I started trying to figure out how to explain embryo adoption
to Leland I realized that I could not really explain it with out also
explaining reproduction a bit. I found a great book called "What Makes A
Baby" (I wrote a lengthy review that you can read HERE).
Leland understands that his genetic mother gave us an egg, his genetic
father gave us a sperm, and that he grew in my uterus. One day I will help him
better understand having been conceived and frozen, how IVF works, the adoption process, etc.
This weekend his teacher sent an email home to all of the class. I think Leland may have been a significant contributor. Here it is:
Hello wonderful
parents of my afternoon students,
I wanted to let
you know that we attended Ms. Cara's school baby shower yesterday
afternoon. The students were excited to attend, and along with the baby shower
came questions about, of course, babies.
The students
discussed it mostly among themselves, and they came up with pretty accurate information.
I thought I would share it with you, so you know what they know!
They started by
saying the baby was in her tummy, but a student corrected and said it was in
her uterus. Another student said it was put there by an egg and
"something," and another student filled in the blank that the
"something" was a sperm. Then many of them chimed in about the
umbilical cord being where the baby's belly button would be. They asked me how
it turned into the belly button, so I told them after the baby was born, the
umbilical cord would be cut and clipped, and as it healed it would become the
belly button.
That was the
extent of the conversation—relatively brief and fact-based. There is no real
emotion about this stuff yet at this age, just scientific fact gathering.
Please let me know
if you have any questions!
Warm regards,
Karen
1 comment:
That sounds like a great teacher and great group of kids! Honestly, that's about all J knows about it, too. We recently discussed that sperm comes from testicles but not how they get out or meet with the egg. I feel like at age 7, he should probably know a little more. It's so awkward to have these conversations, bough.
Post a Comment