Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Working Mom Conquers Suburbia and Other Tales of the Sleep Deprived

Okay, so admittedly I had a little more fun than normal crafting that title. The first part come from this week's soccer day camp drop off.

Working Mom Conquers Suburbia

I used to wonder how any child could participate in a 9am-12pm day camp without some sort of family support, etc. (which isn't an option for us). I get that a stay-at-home mom could manage this schedule, but then how could they afford the day camp considering that here they cost $80-$350 for 4 to 5 days of 9am-12pm day camp. Now that we are using an au pair (rather than day care) it is an option for Leland and this summer I enrolled him in a week of soccer camp and signed him up for two weeks of vacation bible school. I've been doing the drop off and our au pair has been picking him up.

When I pulled in for drop off yesterday morning it was patently clear that I was out of place. I did't have the obligatory pony tail or the yoga pant / athletic gear "uniform" of the other moms. I was in heals and a suit. I was headed to court, not to the gym or the grocery store or wherever else said uniform takes these moms. I want to point out that my observation was not one of superiority or inferiority of one or the other, but merely an observation of my lack of conformity. As I was leaving I locked eyes with another mom - she was wearing a black dress, heals, and pearls. We shared a knowing glance, one that said I understand how early you had to get up to get ready for work and I understand that you are juggling a lot and sacrificing something (lunch maybe?) to accommodate this 9am drop off time, and wow did you realize we're the only one's here who look like they are heading to work?

We exchanged glances again today. Maybe tomorrow, if I'm not already running late, I'll say hi!

Other Tales of the Sleep Deprived

Sleep has been nearly non-existent lately. We had a brief reprieve, but it is slipping away. For awhile, Charlotte was sleeping through the night and Elizabeth was waking one or two times a night. For the past few days, Charlotte has been adding in an early morning feeding (no too bad) round 5 am and Elizabeth has taken to eating three times a night (seriously???) usually around 10pm, 1am, and 4am.

My sleep deprivation is catching up to me in some funny ways. I left both doors to the van open on Friday when I went into a store. I came back to find a sweet older woman standing guard for me, very concerned that there was an open car with an unattended bag and medical equipment (my breast pump). I told her "I have twin infants" and she said "say no more". I've also melted plastic to the stove - twice in one night. I've spent several minutes waiting at a drive thru window for items I already had but didn't remember being handed. I sometimes just zone out when people are talking and it's really a miracle in itself that I am safe to drive. I am currently relying on plenty of coffee and chocolate to make it through the day. 

No comments: