Three weeks ago I started on a Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Caffeine Free, Refined Sugar Free diet. It’s similar to the yeast free diet I did last summer, but not as restrictive. I had been wanting to go back on the yeast free diet or at least a gluten free diet for a few weeks, but have been putting it off for some time now.
Robert suggested I do the diet through Lent and offered to join me. I don’t really think of this as having given something up "for Lent" but we are using Lent as our timetable. Mostly I was just thankful that Robert was going to join me. So far in three weeks I have lost 6.5 lbs (Robert has lost about 10 lbs). I don’t talk much about weight on my blog because although I try to be as healthy as possible I also try not to fixate on my weight.
A little history...I started having trouble with my weight as a child when I was diagnosis with hypothyroidism at age 9. I was never obese, but consistently a little overweight. When I was 16 I joined we*ght w@atchers. With a lot of hard work I lost about 15-20 lbs, achieving a goal weight of about 135 lbs - not skinny, but no longer overweight. As a teenager I really struggled with why it was so much harder for me to loose weight than it was for my friends. It just didn’t make sense. I now understand that having essentially been in (hormone wise) menopause since about 15 years of age, losing weight for me is like a 50 year old woman trying to loose weight.
In college I gained all of the weight I had lost, plus some. Since college I have fluctuated anywhere from 145 - 170 lbs. (Except while pregnant when I topped just over 200). During college I had an epiphany...I was packing up some old clothes when I came across a pair of size 2 jeans. I remembered wearing them and I remembered still not feeling pretty enough or thin enough. It was then that I swore to embrace myself and love myself no matter my size. Yes, I still delete unflattering bathing suit pictures of myself form the camera and cringe when I see a bad photo of me posted to Fac*book, but I don’t stress over my weight.
Sometimes it’s hard, especially being around my mother. After some reflection it is clear to me that she is a main source of my weight-related insecurities. Even recently she commented that she was happy to see me on this diet because I had been looking so great last fall and seemed to have put back on some of the weight (I’ve gained 4 lbs total in the last nine months). I recognize that her comments are a product of her own insecurities and I really believe that she doesn’t understand or recognize their affect on me, but still it affects me.
So back to the diet....I have wanted to go back to Gluten free because I am almost certain that Gluten gives me headaches. I have no other signs of a Gluten allergy or intolerance, and I have been tested for Celiac, so I am not really sure what to make of it - any thoughts??? Tomorrow marks the halfway point of my diet. I will keep you posted!
Robert suggested I do the diet through Lent and offered to join me. I don’t really think of this as having given something up "for Lent" but we are using Lent as our timetable. Mostly I was just thankful that Robert was going to join me. So far in three weeks I have lost 6.5 lbs (Robert has lost about 10 lbs). I don’t talk much about weight on my blog because although I try to be as healthy as possible I also try not to fixate on my weight.
A little history...I started having trouble with my weight as a child when I was diagnosis with hypothyroidism at age 9. I was never obese, but consistently a little overweight. When I was 16 I joined we*ght w@atchers. With a lot of hard work I lost about 15-20 lbs, achieving a goal weight of about 135 lbs - not skinny, but no longer overweight. As a teenager I really struggled with why it was so much harder for me to loose weight than it was for my friends. It just didn’t make sense. I now understand that having essentially been in (hormone wise) menopause since about 15 years of age, losing weight for me is like a 50 year old woman trying to loose weight.
In college I gained all of the weight I had lost, plus some. Since college I have fluctuated anywhere from 145 - 170 lbs. (Except while pregnant when I topped just over 200). During college I had an epiphany...I was packing up some old clothes when I came across a pair of size 2 jeans. I remembered wearing them and I remembered still not feeling pretty enough or thin enough. It was then that I swore to embrace myself and love myself no matter my size. Yes, I still delete unflattering bathing suit pictures of myself form the camera and cringe when I see a bad photo of me posted to Fac*book, but I don’t stress over my weight.
Sometimes it’s hard, especially being around my mother. After some reflection it is clear to me that she is a main source of my weight-related insecurities. Even recently she commented that she was happy to see me on this diet because I had been looking so great last fall and seemed to have put back on some of the weight (I’ve gained 4 lbs total in the last nine months). I recognize that her comments are a product of her own insecurities and I really believe that she doesn’t understand or recognize their affect on me, but still it affects me.
So back to the diet....I have wanted to go back to Gluten free because I am almost certain that Gluten gives me headaches. I have no other signs of a Gluten allergy or intolerance, and I have been tested for Celiac, so I am not really sure what to make of it - any thoughts??? Tomorrow marks the halfway point of my diet. I will keep you posted!
2 comments:
Congrats on getting to a healthier you! As a female who has never been "skinny" I understand how hard it is to get to your ideal weight. Good luck and I'll pray all goes well!
That is cool that you're doing that diet. It's so nice to be able to focus on your body and what actually makes you feel healthy, but so easy to slip away from it. I have some of those issues around my mother, too. They just don't realize they are passing their own issues onto us, but it's so hard to keep it from affecting us anyway.
Post a Comment