Tuesday, December 6, 2011

4:00 AM


So I mentioned in my Five Months post that Leland has starting waking around 4:15 am or 4:30 am. It’s getting complicated and I wanted to see if any of you wonderful mamas had any thoughts or advice.

The difficulty with waking around 4:15 am or 4:30 am is that it is not really early enough for a whole additional feeding, but it’s not late enough to just be a slightly earlier / slightly longer morning feeding. If he were waking at 3 am, it would not be fun, but it would be simple. Eat at 3 am, go back to bed from 4 am to 5:30 am, and then eat again at 6 am – simple. But if he eats at 4:30 am, he’ll be hungry moments after we begin our morning hour long commute and won’t be able to eat until about 8:30 (4 hours later) when we get to the daycare. If he eats from 4:30 – 5:30 am, it gets complicated. I could feed him again from 6:15 – 7:00, just before I have to load the car and get on the road. This would give me 45 minutes from 5:30 – 6:15 to get ready. The problem is I would be getting out of bed every day at 4:15 am. I don’t think I can do this and still function.

With our old schedule of him starting eating about 5:30 or 6:00 am, I was getting up at 5:30 am every day. It’s early, but doable. I just don’t see how I can get up at 4:15 am, when I don’t get home in the evening until 6:15 or 6:30 pm. By the time we nurse and take a bath he doesn’t get to bed until around 8 pm. I then wash bottles, clean the kitchen, do laundry, and try to spend a bit of time with Robert. I get to bed around 11 pm.

For the past week I have been handling this by coaxing him back to sleep. On Sunday morning he woke about 3:45 am. Since it was Sunday and since it was earlier in the morning I was able to just fit in an additional feeding. Otherwise, if he wakes after 4 am, I have been holding the pacifier in his mouth and rubbing his back until he falls back to sleep. Sometimes I have to do this every 30 minutes from 4 am until 5:30 am when I get up and feed him. Let me make it clear that he is not crying. He is stirring and making a very quiet fussy noise. Still, it makes me feel really guilty, like I am denying him food or something. So, any advice or encouragement you all have would be great.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I've got nothing. Em has decided that she WILL NLOT go to sleep unless she is using me as a paci. :( And the minute I try to lay her down once she is asleep, she wakes right back up. She only sleeps good in the bed with me, semi-latched on.

Anna said...

*NOT