Leland is 4 months today and still just a little peanut. We had his four month check-up yesterday. He is 24 inches and weighs 11 lbs. 13 oz. He has only gained 4 oz. in the last month, but is growing taller by the day. His weight is at the 2nd percentile & his high is at the 17th percentile. At least he is on the charts. As I expected, our doctor wants us to start solids right away. I told him Leland was not ready. The doctor assured us he would be ready within the next two weeks. We can discuss this at his six month visit, but for now I’m committed to 100% breast milk.
Leland has really discovered toys in the past week or so. Last week he stayed home with his daddy on Thursday and Friday. They played all day. He loves the Oball that I bought him. He tries to put it in his mouth and ends up licking the inner side with his tongue. I have added a Lamaze toy to his car seat and he really enjoys pulling on some of the rings to make the rattle jingle. I went back and forth about adding a toy to his car seat, with the safety concerns and all. Ultimately, I decided to pick a soft toy. He just need something to entertain him during our 2 hour round trip commute each day. He still loves his playmat and looking at his mobile, hung over his changing table.
Leland still has not rolled over again. He did it twice that one day and hasn’t done it again. He is getting better head and neck control. Last Sunday I caught myself carrying him on my hip like a “big baby” rather than my shoulder or in the crook of my arm like a newborn. It made me really sad the moment I realized this. It’s the little things that show how much he is growing and developing. Also this past week, Leland has really found his voice. He is generally a rather quiet baby unless he is hungry or upset about being in his car seat. Now, he is cooing and babbling away. He is also practicing a fake cry. He will “cry” while we are changing his diaper. But we know it’s not a real cry because he has a big, wide smile on his face as he checks out his mobile.
Another recent first – his first tub poop! It happened last week in his bath bucket. First there was a loud noise and then big bubble. Gas we though and even giggled a little. Then, poop everywhere. Luckily it was a night Robert was home. I moved Leland to the sink to complete his bath / rise the poop off. And Robert washed out the bath bucket. Moments like these are so memorable and even a little funny when you look back on them. It makes me think of when Leland was only about 3 weeks old and Robert was changing his diaper. He lifted his bum to wipe and more poop come shooting out across the changing table and onto the nearby bookshelf. This of course was at about 3AM. Projective poop is only funny in hindsight.
We are getting very excited about our first Thanksgiving and Christmas with Leland. I know it will come and go so quickly. We are planning a trip to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with my parents. It will be our second road trip and actually our third overnight trip. Next week we are going to a conference. Well I have a conference, and Robert is taking off work so he and Leland can tag along. It should be fun and a good chance for a first swim in the hotel pool.
I'll post some new photos soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment